However, the best way to know if you are a candidate for sedation dentistry is to schedule a consultation by contacting us today.
Our Sedation Dentistry Services
- Nitrous Oxide: A gas that is mixed with oxygen and administered by placing a mask over the nose. This chemical compound helps calm patients and diminishes their awareness of their surroundings, although you remain awake and able to communicate. Once a procedure is complete, the flow of nitrous oxide is cut off to allow for the effects to dissipate.
- IV Sedation: Delivered directly into the bloodstream using an IV, this is a more powerful type of sedation that typically has an amnesic quality. You are likely to forget all about your procedure by the time the effects wear off. IV sedation is ideal for lengthy appointments, or oral surgery. However, because the sedation is put directly into the veins, your local Lake Forest sedation dentists can manage the effects of the medication throughout a procedure.
All of the forms of sedation used at Lake Forest Smiles have been proven effective and safe.
Who can benefit from sedation dentistry?
Individuals who suffer from dental anxiety or dental phobia are considered candidates for sedation dentistry. If dental phobia prevents you from going to the dentist, you might benefit from the calming effects of sedation dentistry.
By using sedation to help anxious or fearful patients feel comfortable, your sedation dentists in Lake Forest can provide several extensive dental treatments in just one appointment. This work may include intensive or complicated procedures such as installing dental implants, oral surgery, cosmetic dental treatments, or laser gum surgery.
You also might be a good candidate for sedation dentistry if you have:
- Highly sensitive gag reflex
- Difficulty holding jaws open during lengthy dental procedures
- Problems maintaining muscle control for extended periods of time
- Neck and back pain that may make it difficult to remain in the dental chair for a prolonged amount of time
- Tooth sensitivity
- Jaw pain or dysfunction
What may disqualify me from being a candidate for sedation dentistry?
Certain health reasons can prevent a person from undergoing sedation dentistry.
These reasons include:
- An allergy to sedatives
- Depression of the central nervous system
- Resistance to medications
Elevated blood pressure also may preclude you from being a viable candidate for sedation dentistry.
What planning do I need to do before a sedation dentistry procedure?
If you choose nitrous oxide, you do not need to change anything about your routine because its effects wear off as soon as your appointment has ended. However, IV sedation requires that you take the remainder of the day off from work, and plan on resting at home for the rest of the day. You also will need someone that you trust to bring you to our office, and drive you home afterward. We recommend having that same individual, or someone else that is available that you trust, to sit with you at home while you recover.
Find a Sedation Dentist Near You in Lake Forest, Lake Bluff, and Lincolnshire
Dental phobia is real. Do not allow fear to stand in the way of the high-quality dental care that you need and deserve. For more information about the sedation dentistry services offered at Lake Forest Smiles, call (847) 234-4800 to schedule a consultation. Lake Forest is proud to serve the needs of patients in the areas of Lake Forest, Lake Bluff, and Lincolnshire. We welcome you to our practice.