What qualifies as a dental emergency?
A dental emergency refers to any situation where you need immediate dental treatment. These emergencies occur without warning due to an injury or accident. Or it may be the sudden manifestation of a nagging problem, such as a cracked tooth or a throbbing toothache.
Common Dental Emergencies
- Chipped Tooth – Your Lake Forest cosmetic dentists may recommend dental bonding, porcelain veneers, or a dental crown to repair a chipped tooth.
- Tooth Avulsion – This is the clinical term for what happens when a permanent tooth gets knocked out of its socket. In this event, act fast by immediately placing the tooth in a cup of milk or your own saliva. Then, contact our emergency dental office in Lake Forest.
- Partial Tooth Avulsion – Sometimes, a tooth becomes loose but not completely knocked out of the socket. However, schedule an appointment at Lake Forest Smiles for a dental exam and to ensure you do not cause additional damage.
- Failed or Damaged Dental Restoration – A filling or crown that cracks, becomes loose, or falls out may require immediate attention if it causes pain. Pain is common in these cases because the damage often exposes the interior structure of your tooth, including the nerve.
- Bleeding – A little bleeding due to a dental injury is common, but if you experience significant bleeding that does not stop, you should see our Lake Forest emergency dentists immediately.
- Abscessed Tooth – An abscess is a pus pocket that forms on the gum as a result of an infection. Usually located at the root of the tooth, an abscess can be extremely painful and life-threatening if the infection spreads throughout your body, potentially causing organ failure, sepsis, and, in rare cases, even death.
If you believe that you have an abscessed tooth, contact Lake Forest Smiles right away. Avoid going to the ER because they are not equipped to treat dental abscesses, and will refer you to an emergency dentist in Lake Forest.
Preventing Dental Emergencies
Dental emergencies happen, although practicing good oral hygiene and visiting our general dentist office in Lake Forest for check-ups and cleanings reduces your risk of these inconveniences. Also, if you or your child participates in sports, ask us about a custom sports guard to protect against dental damage or tooth avulsion. However, we understand that dental emergencies are sometimes out of your control, which is why Lake Forest Smiles is here for you.
Emergency Dental Care in Lake Forest, Lake Bluff, and Lincolnshire
At Lake Forest Smiles, we understand that dental trauma might happen at any hour of the day. As a result, we always strive to have one of our dentists available in the event you have an urgent need for care. We hope that you never experience a dental emergency, but if you do, just call our regular office number anytime at (847) 234-4800. Our dental office is conveniently located in Lake Forest, serving the communities of Lake Bluff, and Lincolnshire.