Why Choose a Tooth-Colored Filling?
These fillings, which also are called composite fillings or white fillings, are made of composite resin. Glass or quartz filler comprises the structure of the filling. In addition to repairing areas of decay, Lake Forest Smiles can install tooth-colored fillings to replace older amalgam fillings if they crack or become loose.
Advantages of Composite Fillings
- Environmentally conscious: Our tooth-colored fillings are metal-free. This means they are safe for patients with a metal allergy. They also contain no mercury, unlike their metal counterparts.
- Minimally invasive: Placing a composite filling means removing less of the natural tooth structure.
- More durable: A composite filling is bonded directly to the tooth, making it far less likely it will crack or fail.
- Aesthetics: Amalgam fillings stand out as dark spots in your smile. Your Lake Forest dentist matches a tooth-colored filling to the shade of your other teeth, making it indistinguishable when you smile.
- Less responsive to temperature changes: Amalgam fillings expand and contract rapidly in response to temperature changes in your mouth as you eat and drink. Tooth-colored fillings expand at the same rate as your teeth, limiting the risk of tooth fracture.
Care Instructions for Tooth-Colored Fillings
Caring for your teeth after receiving a filling is as easy as it ever has been.
Your tooth-colored filling will last longer with the proper regimen of care. Be sure to brush and floss daily. Maintain a regular schedule of dental check-ups to ensure your filling remains intact. With proper care and maintenance, your filling should last a decade or more.
Avoid or limit smoking and highly staining foods such as coffee, tea, red wine, and blueberries. Do not bite down on hard foods or candy. Avoiding using your teeth to bite your fingernails or open packages.
Metal-Free Fillings in Lake Forest, Lake Bluff, and Lincolnshire
Whether you need to have a cavity repaired or older silver fillings replaced, Lake Forest Smiles is here to help. Schedule your consultation by calling (847) 234-4800. Our practice is conveniently located at 825 S. Waukegan Road in Lake Forest. Drs. Campbell and Schmidt have been providing elite dental care to the communities of Lake Forest, Lake Bluff, and Lincolnshire for more than 30 years. Find out how tooth-colored fillings could make the difference in your smile! We welcome you to our practice.