Advancements in dentistry allow for quicker results, with less discomfort and downtime than traditional surgical methods. Lake Forest Smiles utilizes LANAP, an FDA-cleared dental laser proven to be safe and effective for gum surgery that does not involve cutting, and eliminates the need for sutures (stitches). Find out the benefits of laser gum recontouring, and how Drs. Douglas Campbell and David Schmidt use laser dentistry to help patients manage periodontal disease.
How We Use Laser Therapy
Our laser technology represents the forefront of dental science. It can make incisions mere nanometers deep, with more accuracy and precision than any surgery by hand. Laser dentistry can be used for gum recontouring, which removes excess gum tissue and evens the gum line or to help regenerate gum growth for those dealing with severe stages of periodontal disease.
The dental laser works by vaporizing the gum tissue. It also destroys any bacteria, minimizing the risk of post-op infection. The laser immediately cauterizes and seals as it goes, significantly reducing the risk of bleeding, and potential discomfort.
You may receive a local anesthetic before the procedure, but most patients who undergo laser gum therapy experience minimal discomfort afterward. You should be able to continue with your usual routine or return to work the same day.
Who is a good candidate for laser gum recontouring?
If you have a “gummy smile,” or your gums appear uneven, laser gum recontouring may be right for you. The dentists can reshape your gum line through a procedure known as crown lengthening. When gum tissue is too thick or covers too much of your teeth, it can appear as though the teeth are too short or misshapen. Crown lengthening helps by removing excess gum tissue, revealing more of your tooth’s natural structure, and resulting in a beautiful smile.
- After undergoing laser gum recontouring, you may experience swollen or sore gums for about a week. If swelling or soreness persists, call Lake Forest Smiles.
- Eat a diet of soft foods for the first few days. Ease into eating harder to chew foods as you feel comfortable doing so.
- Add a warm saltwater oral rinse to your oral hygiene routine.
- Most patients manage any discomfort after their procedure with an over-the-counter pain reliever.
The Advantages of Laser Gum Recontouring
Other benefits of laser therapy to treat gum disease include the following:
- Fast – The dentist can complete laser gum recontouring in much less time than traditional surgery.
- Comfortable – Laser therapy causes much less pain and discomfort than traditional gum surgery, both during and after the procedure.
- Less bleeding – The laser immediately cauterizes as it goes, which means less bleeding, and eliminates the need for stitches or sutures.
- Less invasive – The LANAP laser is extremely precise. It allows the dentist to remove minimal gum tissue, only what is necessary to achieve results.
Laser Gum Recontouring in Lake Forest, Lake Bluff, and Lincolnshire
If you want to find out how to fix a “gummy smile” or want to learn more about obtaining an even smile, please call Lake Forest Smiles at (847) 234-4800 and schedule a consultation. Drs. Campbell and Schmidt have provided elite dental care to the areas of Lake Forest, Lake Bluff, and Lincolnshire for more than 30 years. We welcome you to our practice.